Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Secret Knowledge, by David Hockney

David Hockney, Secret Knowledge


During my undergraduate and graduate studies I discovered I had a love for Art History.  I was quite surprised!   I thought about all the research I would have to do, ugh, but it opened doors and expanded my knowledge as an artist.   The more I read about master artists, the culture in which they lived, and the profound affects the social-economic environment in which they lived the more I appreciate what they passed onto to all artists.  It’s empowering as an artist to know about artists both of the past and present.  It gives me a sense of direction in my own work as well as a teacher.
I read and research topics a lot.  In the process I am learning so many things that I can also introduce to my students in the Art Appreciation class I teach at ITT and my oil painting classes. For example, my painting class has been studying Old Master painting techniques. It has been an eye opening experience for everyone.  

The technique isn’t something that produces brown paintings.  Quite the contrary, they are filled with light.  The paintings have a richness unlike direct painting techniques alone.  I have been using both techniques for years and I am very excited to offer this class.  As a result, my students have a much better understanding of seeing and understanding value change as well as using a subdued palette to achieve paintings that glow with rich color.


In the vein of art history, I would like all that are interested, to look at the YouTube video by David Hockney, Secret Knowledge, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNrgCaoyW8 .  This is a very exciting documentary regarding the hidden secrets of the Great Masters during the Renaissance era.  I promise you will enjoy it.  As each segment ends look for the next and click it.  I believe it begins with 1/8 through 7/8.  Let me know what you think?  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment